Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Philippine Area of Responsibility


"Team, Dress-down request for tonight was disapproved by Ms. Cheesecake. Please come to work in business attire".

I had my casual-looking pair of pants rolled-up above my knees as I prepare myself to brave a knee-deep murky (yucky) flood. I try my very best to take my mind off such an ultra-pathetic situation. I even imagined dancing with Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire ala-Singing in the Rain. And you know what, it just didnt work!

While most Filipinos are inside their houses enjoying supper and watching their favorite primetime soap, I am battling a heavy downpour and being blown in four different directions by such a nasty wind. I know I shouldn't be even complaining! I am aware that, on an average, 20 to 25 typhoons visit or should I say "ravage" our little tropical paradise in a year. That doesn't include yet ITCZ, low pressure area, and cold fronts that develop within the Philippine Area of Responsibility.The letters of the alphabet may not be even enough to give names to these typhoons and the creative people from PAGASA may soon run out of cute and amusing names for these tropical depressions.

So here I am, waiting for my ride to come. I am getting late for work and my umbrella offers very little protection. And to my surprise, a car pulled up infront of me, and a group of Asian-looking foreigners took pictures of us pedestrians wading in muddy flood. I was there, right in the middle of the group. I resisted the urge to grab their digital cameras and smash it right in front of their car's windshield because it might bring me more trouble. I remained motionless, pretending that I am oblivious to what's going on. That the sidewalk, teeming with people waiting for their rides or just simply waiting for the rain to subside a bit ,is currently the subject of their curiosity.

Heck, If I knew that this is going to happen, I should have worn my evening gown...

No comments: